Entertainment and Multimedia Applications for Mobile Phones
The world is in love with smartphones! With the exceptional growth in on-demand internet access and the ability to perform multiple tasks with ease, these ubiquitous smartphones are now far removed from their humble beginnings as a mobile telephone.
Voice telephony, as we know it, is now just a commodity, as the real money comes through by providing reliable, high-quality entertainment apps and multimedia applications which leverage fast internet speeds (4G and LTE). These apps - varying from instant messaging apps to social networking ones, or even content consumption apps, are now setting the golden standard for connecting billions of smartphone users across the globe.
The Growth of Entertainment and Multimedia Apps for Mobile Phones
The primary driver behind the growth of apps for multimedia and entertainment is the ready availability of high-speed data. The LTE (Long-term Evolution) standard is the fastest growing in the worldwide telecom industry, with more than 1.5 billion global subscribers as of 2015.
In even developing nations such as India, Philippines, etc. 2G and 3G networks are now slowly being phased out in favor of 4G, and the market of cheap, value-for-money smartphones with dual-sim and 4G capabilities is at an all-time high.
As a result, professional and user-generated content (YouTube, Dailymotion, Flickr, Blip.tv) which could only be accessed on the PCs a few years back are now available across multiple devices and phones through mobile apps for multimedia. Entertainment applications such as Netflix and Hulu are now at the forefront of this digital, access-anywhere revolution, with the former now being available in more than 130 countries, allowing consumers instant access to a wide variety of TV shows and movies. There are numerous other applications of multimedia in the entertainment field, some examples of which include -
- OTT (Over-the-top) set-top boxes such as Roku, Boxee, etc. leverage apps for both multimedia and entertainment, while allowing consumers to stop subscribing to more costly cable TV alternatives
- Internet-connected game consoles such as Xbox One, PS4, etc. also support numerous multimedia apps for public consumption, and are now all-in-one home entertainment mediums instead of being used only for gaming
- Smart TV's from Samsung, Sony, LG, etc. ensure web content can be streamed and viewed anywhere without the need of a separate smartphone
- High-speed file sharing websites such as Google Drive, OneDrive, Mediafire, etc. are now making it even simpler to upload and share multimedia with different people, or use the power of the cloud to access them anywhere on-the-go
Diversity - How Multimedia Applications are set to Rule the Mobile Entertainment Industry
Entertainment and multimedia apps have many usages across industry verticals. For example, one could use smartphones for learning, online collaboration, as a personal music/video player, for video-on-demand services, watching digital TV, or as an e-book reader. The possibilities are endless, and with the growth of readily available technology, it is limited only to the developer's creativity to create new and exciting apps.
Some common entertainment and multimedia applications include -
- Music and Video Entertainment Apps - These include video and audio players which play a variety of formats - such as remote control applications which play music tracks on your computer, apps that let you buy and sync music from the online stores and other devices, compose and record songs, personalized radio, digital TV, streaming of live scores and so on. Music and video apps are perhaps the most glaring example of the rise of multimedia in entertainment, and include notable examples such as Spotify, TuneIn Radio, Apple Music, Play Music, Groove Music, Pandora, etc.
- GPS and Navigation Based Apps - These include maps and/or provide location-based services such as, searching for nearby attractions and restaurants, marine navigation and so on. Some common examples include Google Maps, Apple Maps, Garmin Navigation Suite, Yelp, Zomato, etc.
- Social Networking Apps - These apps allow users to sign-in directly to their favorite social networking sites and share photos/videos and updates, amongst other things. Notable examples include Facebook, Twitter, Path, LinkedIn, etc.
- News and Weather Apps - Consumers now have access to the latest news on a regular basis on their phone or check the weather forecast. Many top news networks and papers give access to latest news on-the-go, including live streaming access. Most popular news channels and content aggregators are now available readily on multiple mobile platforms, including BBC, Reuters, Flipboard, etc.
- Audiobooks and e-Book Readers - It's the dream of every avid reader to be able to carry a book without the excess load. Audiobook apps and e-book reader apps on the mobile phone let the user do just that, and include features which allow them to translate, annotate, etc. on the go! Notable apps include Google Play Books, Amazon Kindle, Nook, etc.
- m-Learning Apps - Mobile learning or m-Learning applications are similar to e-Learning applications, and allow learners unrestricted access to learning-on-the-go, while using the benefits of mobile technology. Popular mobile learning apps include Tutorials, Atlases, Student Organizers (letting you plan and schedule classes and assignments), Mini-Encyclopedias, Quiz-based applications, Converters, Calculators and Dictionaries to name a few. Khan Academy and Duolingo are but just two of the many mobile learning apps available out there.
Choose Outsource2india as Your Multimedia Mobile App Development Partner
At Outsource2india, we believe that the uses of multimedia in entertainment are only limited by the developer's imagination. Therefore, we make it easy for content producers, entertainment and multimedia executives, etc. to focus on creating and publishing great content, while offloading their burden of multimedia and entertainment application development. Our extensive range of mobile development services include -
At O2I, we have partnered with globally renowned technology developers, content producers and publishing houses to build entertainment apps for both traditional web and mobile platforms for the past several years. In the past few years, we have extended our expertise to developing multimedia apps for smart TVs and other multi-screen entertainment options.
Contact us now for high-quality mobile app development services.