Applying for an Indian Visa
To visit India, you would require an Indian visa. A VISA certificate is a stamp marked certificate on your passport, made by Indian immigration authorities to indicate that your credentials have been verified and that you have been given permission to enter India for a temporary business visit within a specified period.
You can apply for an Indian visa at the High Commission of India based in your country. You can apply for a visa either in person or by post. Specific visas can be issued for a variety of purposes.
A business visa is generally given to foreign nationals who wish to do business with India, such as making contacts or sales on the behalf of an organization situated outside India. A business visa to India is usually valid for one or more years with multiple entries. The duration of the stay in India (for each visit) under the business visa category is limited to a period of six months.
You can get a visa application form at the Indian Embassy situated in your country. Here are few forms that you can download:
When applying for an Indian visa, ensure that you have the following documents with you. Do keep in mind that visa requirements can differ from country to country.
- A fully completed visa application form
- Two recent passport size photographs
- An original passport that is valid for at least 6 months
- Supporting documents wherever necessaryy
- The visa fee
Extending your Indian visa
If you wish to extend your visa, you will have to get in touch with the foreigner's division of the Ministry of Home Affairs at Jaisalmer House, 26, Man Singh Road, New Delhi. If you are not staying in New Delhi, you can approach the concerned FRROs/FROs cum Superintendent of Police who will forward your case to the MHA for approval. The FRROs/District Superintendents of Police (ex-officio FROs) do have the right to make visa extensions for certain types of visa without referring them to the MHA.
Information about the Indian visa
- If you are a foreign national who wishes to come to India on a business visit, you will be required to possess a valid Indian visa and a valid passport from your country.
- The CPV or Consular Passport and Visa division of the Ministry of External Affairs is responsible for issuing Indian visas to foreign nationals. The Indian Mission situated in your country will issue your Indian visa for your business visit to India.
- The fee for the visa is non-refundable and can be changed without prior notice.
- The High Commission owns the sole right to grant and decide the duration / type of visa irrespective of the visa fee that is given at the time of making the visa application.
- The granting of the visa does not confer the right to enter India. A foreign national, with a valid visa can be stopped from entering India by Immigration Authorities.
- You will not be charged any fee for immigration facilities at the airports.
- India does not offer foreign nationals with a 'Visa on Arrival' provision.
- Before starting on your journey to India, ensure that you posses a valid Indian visa. Do take photocopies of the visa.
- India issues Gratis (free) visa to several countries such as, Jamaica, Haiti, Burundi, Maldives, Cape Verde, Mongolia, Mauritius etc.
- Visa forms for Bangladesh and Pakistan nationals are generally different.
- NRIs (Non-Resident Indians) and PIOs (Persons of Indian Origin) who don't possess either a PIO card or an OCI (Overseas Indian Citizenship) need to apply for an Indian visa using a separate visa application form available at the Indian embassy.
Was this article helpful? Share it with your friends, now!
Would you be interested in reading more?
Feeling apprehensive about travelling first time to India? Follow these travel tips for trouble-free trip to India.
Need an Indian visa for business visit? Find the nearest Indian embassy situated in your country and services it offers.
Will my mobile work in India? How to get a prepaid cell, phone connection & tariff plans in India? Get your answers here.
Check mails on Blackberry/PDA/laptop as Indian metros have Wi-Fi in airports, railway stations, coffee shops & hotels.
Stay online, 24/7, on your business trip with wireless data cards, 3G mobile internet or unlimited high-speed broadband.
GET A FREE QUOTE